19 Healthy Ways to Jump Start Weight Loss
By: Jamie Len Cumbo
You can workout all day long, but if your nutrition isn’t on track then you won’t see results. I have gone through weight loss transformations before and want to share my tips of things that have helped me get my momentum back to start seeing results…. QUICK! It’s easier than you think. If you’re trying to lose some weight, if you’re in a weight loss plateau or just want to FEEL better, these tips will help you!
- Write out your SUCCESS story! This should be fun. Sit down and write out as if it’s 90 days down the road. How much do you weight? How do you feel? What does your life look like? What did you change in your life and how committed were you to get there? The more detailed, the better. Visualize it each morning as you start the day.
- Drink lemon water every morning. Cut a lemon in a half and put in a big glass of water on your nightstand before you go to bed. There are so many benefits to doing this & I think is the most overlooked tip to assist in weight loss.
- Keep a food journal. If you put it in your mouth, write it down. Do it on your phone. In a journal. Take pictures of everything you eat. Something to track what you are eating every day.
- Find dairy substitutes. Cut all dairy out of your diet (creamers/ cheese/milk). Find a substitute (like Daiya cheese, which is dairy free cheese)
- Fill up on veggies. Think green. It’s almost impossible to overeat on veggies.
- Clean out the junk. Get it out of the house! Anything that does not fit your clean eating schedule, don’t buy it. Plain and simple. Make sure the house is stocked with lots of veggies, fruit, whole grains, etc.
- No more artificial sweeteners or soda. Period. Artificial flavors make you crave the bad stuff. So don’t go there & it will be easier to resist!
- Stop eating processed foods. If you can’t pronounce the ingredients on the label, you shouldn’t be putting it into your body.
- Drink one big glass of water before and after ever meal. This will help make you feel fuller and you won’t eat as much, and it will help you get your water intake for the day. Shoot for half your body weight in ounces of water. For example, for someone who weighs 200lbs, they would drink 100oz.
- Get moving! Exercise every day, even if it’s for 10 minutes a day. A quick walk outside, take the stairs, clean the house… just move! Break it up into two 5 minute sessions. Anything to get your heart rate up & burn more calories than you consume.
- Keep healthy snacks on hand. Nuts, celery with peanut butter, vegan protein bars, and fruit are all great go-to snacks. When you have healthy snacks on hand, you’re less likely to hit up that vending machine or drive thru when hunger strikes.
- Put the scale AWAY! There is no reason you should weigh yourself every day. Weigh yourself on day one and then one time a month (as a guide). Do not let the number on the scale determine your success.
- FOCUS when you eat. When it’s time to eat, don’t watch tv, play on your phone, or anything else that takes your attention off the food you are putting in your mouth. Sit down. Focus on each bite. Chew thoroughly. TAKE.YOUR.TME when you eat.
- Use a smaller plate. When you eat off a smaller plate, it appears to be more food and tricks your brain to thinking you ate more.
- Don’t get hungry! Make sure you eat small meals throughout the day (4-6 times a day, each meal consisting of approximately 300 calories, as an example). The biggest meal of the day should be breakfast and it should taper off as the day goes on, giving your body plenty of time to burn it off before you go to bed.
- Make your own food. Not only will you save money by not dining out, you know exactly what’s in the food and how healthy it is when you make it yourself.
- Shakeology every day! This is a total meal replacement, packed with superfoods that help accelerate weight loss, speed up muscle recovery, gives you energy and helps curb cravings!! www.MyShakeology.com/JamieLen
- Rate yourself & Move on!! Every night before you go to bed, reflect on how your day went. Did you stick to your goals? Did you eat healthy? What could you have done better? IF you messed up, it is important to recognize what caused the mess up (did you go too long without eating then over eat?). Then LET GO and MOVE ON!
- Take BEFORE pictures I also call these ‘never again photos’. Set up your iPhone as a video and screenshot pics, whatever you have to do to get a full body shot, ideally in a bathing suite or shorts and sports bra. You will take pictures again each month and see the progress!! It’s great motivation!
Whenever I let some bad habits creep back in my life and need to get some momentum in my nutrition life again… I always go back to the basics, and these are them. These are a few tips that I have used every time I want to jump start my weight loss, and get back on track. I hope you find them helpful, too!
By: Jamie Len Cumbo