By: Jamie Len Cumbo
Spring is officially here! Spring symbolizes a new life, a new beginning, and a fresh start. That day is today, my friend! So whether you have ‘fallen off’ your healthy regiment for a few days, weeks, or even years, now is the perfect time to regroup and get motivated.
We are at the time of year when many people have lost site of their New Years’ resolutions or they are plugging along, but need a little extra push to keep them going. Everyone needs motivation and inspiration at some time in their health journey.
Here are 11 tips to help you not only get motivated, but stay motivated if you have lost it.
1. VISUALIZE your new body. Look at a picture of what you are working for, even if it’s cut out of a magazine of someone else’s body with your head glued on (yes, I did that). The more you focus on that body you want, the more excited you will get and the quicker you will start to transform your own body.
2. Watch YouTube videos. If you are ever lacking motivation, watching success stories of others who have transformed may give you the push you are looking for. There are many people out there who have transformed their bodies, each one going through many obstacles to get there. It’s motivating to see real results and proof that hard work and persistence really does pays off.
3. Give Yourself a Reward. If you stick to your clean diet and workout schedule, reward yourself for your hard work (but not with food). You can treat yourself to a message, a new pair of workout shoes, or anything else that puts a smile on your face. These little rewards can serve as huge motivation to workout and stay disciplined.
4. Keep a Journal. Even if it’s on your cell phone. Your journal should include your goals, affirmations, what you eat daily, any successes you are proud of, and how you will prepare for certain challenges coming up.
5. Read some Self-Development. Any type of self help book that focuses on becoming better in some way will get you going in the right direction. It works every time.
6. Don’t Let a Slip Turn into a Complete Fall. If you mess up and eat something you shouldn’t, or miss a workout or two, don’t put your hands in the air and give up completely. It’s times like this you must remember why you started in the first place.
7. Schedule your Workouts. Make your workouts part of your routine, like brushing your teeth. Tell yourself it’s not an option to miss it. Wear your workout clothes to bed if you have to. Make a big calendar with the workouts you plan to do that week. After you work out, take a big marker and X it off. You will subconsciously work towards getting it done each day.
8. Surround Yourself with Healthy People. Do not surround yourself with people who sabotage your hard work. Find people who are also working hard each day to live a healthier life, even if it means online. Workout buddies are also good to have to help hold you accountable.
9. Get Halfway There. Sometimes, the thought of doing an entire workout is overwhelming if you’re just not motivated. The key is to start, promise yourself you will get halfway there, and chances are pretty high that once you start you won’t stop. Because by then, the endorphins will be kicking and you’ll finish the entire thing.
10. Look at Pinterest. If you’re not familiar with Pinterest yet, check it out. It’s a website that is great to turn to for daily motivation and inspiration. Looking at pictures of fit bodies and great quotes can be motivating enough to slap on your sneakers and workout right then and there.
11. Write Out Your Success Story. This is one of the most powerful things you will do. Write your story out as if it’s three months down the road. How much do you weigh? How do you feel? How has your life changed now that you are healthy? Write it in the present tense as if it has already happened. Read it daily. You should get really excited when you read this because it will fuel your fire more than all the others combined.
Regardless if you are starting your new workout regiment this week, or you needed a little boost to help you keep going, I hope these tips give you that push you need.
The more you workout and eat healthy, the more you crave how it makes you feel. It doesn’t happen overnight. Those habits took many years for you to develop so be patient, stay consistent, and know that today is another new beginning.